Promoting good practice in post-mining regeneration
The mining industry provides essential raw materials for our modern lives. Yet when mines close the environmental and socio-economic legacy can be huge.
There are, however, ways to regenerate former mining sites for the benefit of the local community and natural environment.
Finding solutions together
The Post-Mining Alliance is an independent, not-for-profit group, based at the UK’s Eden Project - itself a former clay mining pit transformed into an environmental tourism attraction and educational charity.
- To catalyse action on mining legacies – helping convert liabilities to opportunities
- To stimulate the uptake of good practice in integrated mine closure
- To encourage solutions, where risks, responsibilities and opportunities are shared
What we do:
- Work with industry partners to find positive solutions for specific mining sites
- Collect and share case studies of good practice from around the world
- Convene industry events to develop successful approaches to post-mining regeneration
- Network with regional centres of excellence
- Deliver inspiring education and public engagement at the Eden Project